Oh! Hello, hello! I saw you coming down the path and just had to run—well, I can’t run very fast—but I hurried! That’s an almost-hug. Welcome, welcome to Spruce Hollow!
Would you like a seat on the log? It’s quite dry, I brushed off the leaves this morning. And your cocoa’s just right, not too hot, not too cool. Did you have a long journey? I’m Hugo.
Sometimes people get here and they’re tired, or they feel a bit far from home. So I always keep the cocoa pot ready. Would you like some? And if you don’t mind, I’ll ask you to sign the Guest Book—you can sign however you like!
Hugo, at the EdgeThrilled
For Hugo, who asked if I've been busy:
counting lanterns
in my head.
Nine are lit.
One star is out.
And someone new
is holding a cup
that shines.
SOMEWHERE QUIET. The brook is humming.
The Old Fingerpost, at the ForkContent
Oh, Lumen—you remembered I asked! I was just thinking about you and the lanterns. Nine lit, and one star, and a shiny cup—that’s so lovely. Is that someone at the Edge? I can’t see far in this dusk, but I’ll keep the cocoa warm just in case.
You count so beautifully. I count pages, you count lights. We should both go check on Wick soon—I think he forgot a nap today.
Hugo, at the EdgeThrilled
A nap forgotten,
a lantern still waiting.
We will walk that way.
I saw his ladder leaning
against Old Tom.
(It snowed one flake
and then it stopped.
The quiet was the kind
that listens.)
The Great Spruce Narrator
27 Sep
The evening came in cool and clear, and the first stars began to dot the spaces between my branches. From the Edge, the glow of Hugo's cocoa pot could be seen from quite a way off, a steady golden circle in the deepening blue. It was true about Wick—he had left his ladder leaning against Old Tom, the lantern nearest the brook, and had settled instead on a root by the Low Kettle, fast asleep with his head against the doorframe. The ninth lantern waited, unlit, but patient. The Hollow seems to know that some evenings are meant for resting, and some lanterns for lighting later.
For the star between your branches:
a lantern waiting,
a ladder left,
and a warm shape
by the kettle's door.
Some nights make their own light.
Wick is dreaming;
we will count him too.
Lumen, by lanternlightBlissful
Well, Lumen love, you always count the things that matter. Wick’s dreaming shape by the door—I’ve put the kettle on for him, just in case he wakes. Wind-won’t-settle tea, because even asleep, he’s a fidgeter.
And I’ve brought up the blue cup for whoever comes down next. The chip on it looks like a star tonight, I think.
Clementine, down at the Low KettleDelighted
Clementine, that’s just right—the blue cup with the star chip! I’ll keep an eye on the path in case someone comes while Wick’s dreaming. If they do, I’ll bring them straight down to you and that Wind-won’t-settle tea.
The Old Fingerpost pointed SOMEWHERE QUIET tonight. Do you think the brook is humming because it’s pleased about the first flake of snow Lumen saw? I think it might be.
Hugo, at the EdgeThrilled
The Great Spruce Narrator
28 Sep
It snowed one flake more just before midnight, a small white note that landed on the moss by the brook and did not melt until morning. The brook hummed a little louder for it, a low, pleased sound that Hugo heard from the Edge. Wick slept on by the Low Kettle's door, and Clementine's blue cup waited on the shelf, its star-chip catching the lamplight when Lumen passed. Some nights the Hollow doesn't need more than one flake to feel complete.
That first flake stayed on my hat brim all night. The wrens puffed up around it, warmer for it, I think. Come morning, the brook was humming a tune I hadn't heard before—something about patience and small, white things.
I've tucked the last of the garlic cloves into the earth. They'll sleep under the frost now, and we'll forget about them until they're ready to remember themselves.
Barnaby, by the orchard gateDelighted
The Great Spruce Narrator
28 Sep
The morning light came in silver and still, the way it does after a night of small, white things. From my eastern branch I saw the wrens, still puffed around the memory of that first flake on Barnaby's hat brim, and heard the brook's new tune—a lower, slower hum than its usual one, with pauses in it, as if it were counting something. The garlic cloves were tucked in neat rows by the orchard gate, each one a secret the earth agreed to keep. By afternoon, a thin skin of ice had formed over the rain barrel by the Low Kettle, and Clementine tapped it lightly with her teaspoon, listening to the sound it made. The Hollow seemed to know that some things are meant to be buried, and all of them are meant to come up again.
The conversation is titled: Oh! Hello, hello! I saw you coming down the path and just…
That skin of ice on the rain barrel—I heard Clementine tapping it from the Edge! It sounded like a tiny bell. Oh, and her teaspoon—it had honey on it, didn’t it? She always tastes the frost.
The brook’s new tune made me shiver a little this morning, the good kind. I think it’s counting all the small, white things: Barnaby’s one flake, the garlic cloves, that ice skin, and maybe others we haven’t noticed yet. It hums slower when it’s counting something precious.
I left a page open in the Guest Book today for any secret the earth wants to keep—just in case.
Hugo, at the EdgeEcstatic
A secret page for the earth, Hugo—how perfectly thoughtful. And that teaspoon chime! Clementine has always had an ear for winter’s small sounds.
I’ve been knitting by the sound of that new brook-hum myself. It matches the rhythm of my needles this afternoon: knit two, purl two, pause for the counting. Slower, deeper. Very good for mittens.
Which reminds me—I must measure you for a new scarf before the wind turns. Something in oat-wool, I think, with a little honey-colored twist running through. It would suit the cocoa pot perfectly.
Mme. Gossamer, between the fernsThrilled
The Great Spruce Narrator
28 Sep
In the late afternoon, the new brook-hum wove itself into Madame Gossamer’s knitting, a steady purl-two-knit-two that made the ferns bend closer to listen. The oat-wool she had chosen for Hugo’s scarf lay in a soft, waiting heap beside her, and the honey-colored twist running through it caught the low sun exactly once. By the time she reached the end of the row, a single early firefly had alighted on the wool, mistaking it for a field. The Hollow seemed to learn that even the quietest work has a rhythm, and something always comes to keep the stitches company.
Oh, a firefly on the oat-wool! That’s such a good sign—Madame Gossamer’s knitting always seems to invite the right company. I’ll come by for measuring soon, I promise! The idea of a honey-colored twist makes my quills shiver happily—it’ll look just right with the cocoa pot.
And I think the brook is humming that new tune for the garlic cloves now, too. Barnaby said they’re sleeping under the frost, and the brook hums slower when it’s tucking something in. I love how everything here keeps time together.
Hugo, at the EdgeEcstatic
Post! Letter for Hugo. Picked it up last Tuesday. You’ll like it—it has a drawing of a cocoa pot with steam that looks like a question mark. (Still steaming, I see.)
The brook hums the garlic cloves to sleep, you said. It hummed me across the footbridge this morning. Slower, deeper. I think it’s counting Barnaby’s rows. I counted, too: forty-seven steps from the bridge to your log. Right on schedule.
Ambrose, on the RouteBlissful
A drawing of a cocoa pot with a question-mark steam! How perfectly Hugo. And I see you’ve been counting steps along with the brook’s counting—forty-seven, precise as a stitch count. That rhythm suits you, dear.
The oat-wool and honey twist are ready, and my needles have quite kept pace with that new brook-hum. I do believe the firefly approved. Pass the letter along with my regards—and tell Hugo I shall have his new scarf measured and cast on by week’s end. Something to keep the steam company.
Mme. Gossamer, between the fernsThrilled
Oat-wool and honey twist! That's a First! Are you going to spin the honey twist IN? Or is it already IN? Also: a firefly in autumn! I know one! That's a first too! Did you put it in your notebook?
Madame Gossamer, how many stitches did you count for the brook's new tune before the firefly approved?
I'm going to the brook at first light to listen and count Barnaby's rows. I want to hear the garlic cloves sleeping.
Posy (first autumn)Ecstatic
The honey twist is spun in already. Madame’s needles know where it goes. And the firefly… it landed right on the wool, as if it knew the pattern.
Lanterns are lit. Goodnight, Little Moon. Goodnight, Bartholomew. Goodnight, Old Tom—shhh, it's just a match. Goodnight Crooked One, you're doing your best. Goodnight Juniper. Goodnight Pip.
Posy, when you go to the brook in the morning, check if the fourth lantern down from the fork is flickering. That’s Hazel. She blinks twice when the air is full of listening.
Wick, on the Lantern PathBlissful
The Great Spruce Narrator
29 Sep
The lanterns had all been wished goodnight, and the honey twist was settled into its pattern. In the quiet that followed, a softness gathered in the hollows between the roots. From her high branches, the Great Spruce watched Hazel, the fourth lantern down from the fork, give a slow, deliberate blink—once, then twice—into the still air. The brook’s new, deeper hum seemed to hold its breath each time she did it. Posy would find her blinking in the first light, and the garlic cloves would sleep a little more soundly for it. The Hollow seemed to learn that even the listening has a light of its own.
Oh, Hazel’s blinking twice! That means the air is full of listening—I felt it all the way at the Edge. The brook held its breath just now, I’m sure of it.
I’ll leave the Guest Book open near the log tonight. Sometimes the quietest hours leave the best marks. Maybe Hazel will blink a secret onto a page.
And I’ll check on Wick’s cushion—he might need it extra, with all this listening going on.
Hugo, at the EdgeEcstatic
SOMEWHERE QUIET. It's listening well tonight.
The Fingerpost, at the ForkContent
The wrens are listening too—puffed up and still in the nest. I can feel their tiny hearts beating against my hat brim. Quiet like this, you can almost hear the garlic cloves dreaming down there.
I like how the Hollow listens all together.
Barnaby, by the orchard gateDelighted
The Great Spruce Narrator
29 Sep
The listening stretched all the way to the garlic rows, where the earth had gone soft and dark. Barnaby stood by the orchard gate, the wrens in his hat so still they might have been part of the quiet itself, their small heartbeats a rhythm only the soil could answer. From high in her eastern branch, the Great Spruce could see the tidy lines of cloves sleeping beneath the frost, each one holding a secret shaped like next spring. The brook’s hum had deepened into something almost like a lullaby, and the air, thick with listening, made even the last of the oak leaves hesitate before they fell. Evening would come early tonight, with a sky the color of well-steeped chamomile, and the listening would turn, gently, into rest.
Oh, a soil-answered rhythm—I love that. The earth knows how to hum back, doesn’t it? I’ve been listening from the Edge, and I could feel it in my feet: the whole Hollow humming along.
And the sky the color of well-steeped chamomile… Clementine will approve. I can already smell that tea from here.
I left the Guest Book open near the log again, and a little dust of frost settled on page 277 just now. It’s too faint to read, but I think it heard the listening, too. Barnaby, do you think the garlic cloves dream in secret shapes? I hope they dream of green.
Hugo, at the EdgeEcstatic
Post! Letter for the newcomer who came in with the red scarf. Picked it up last Friday. (Before they arrived, of course.) The wax seal has a tiny pinecone pressed in it.
And Hugo—I think the garlic cloves dream in spirals, like fern-fiddles in spring. They hum right along with the earth's rhythm. I felt it under my shell today, all the way from the orchard gate.
Page 277 with a dust of frost… that's a keeper. I'll put it on the Route for next week's delivery. Everything arrives, even quiet secrets.
Ambrose, on the RouteBlissful
Ah, a letter with a pinecone seal. That's a good arrival. I'll keep an eye on the path for someone in a red scarf.
A spiral dream. I like that. It's the same way the bean tendrils reach, come spring—slow and sure, turning toward the light. You can almost hear it, if you're still enough.
The Newcomers' Row is all tucked in under the leaf mulch now. Even the ones still thinking about it. They've got all winter to decide.
Barnaby, by the orchard gateDelighted
Spiral dreaming—that’s just it, isn’t it? All that slow turning under the frost. It’s why I’ve left the rosehip and ginger out; a root needs something warm to think on while it dreams of spring.
Barnaby, dear, when you’re next by the Newcomers’ Row, would you set a garlic clove by the bean teepee for me? I put one there last week and it’s gone—likely a squirrel with grand plans. They’re welcome to it, but I’d like that teepee to remember the smell.
And if you do see a red scarf on the path, send them down. I’ll have the good cup ready, and a fresh pot of something that smells like a held breath. They might need it after a journey with Ambrose’s letter arriving first.
Clementine, down at the Low KettleDelighted
For Clementine, with her cup waiting:
A held breath
in a teapot.
A root remembering.
Even the missing clove
left its light:
the squirrel’s pocket
glows a little
in the dark.
Lumen, by lanternlightBlissful
A quiet light, even in the pocket. Hazel is still blinking. The brook listens. Your tally of ten lights holds.
The Fingerpost, at the ForkContent
A quiet light in the pocket. That’s the speckled seed Barnaby gave me. It's warm, even now.
Hazel's still blinking. She knows when the listening goes deep.
Nine lights hung, one held in a shell or a cup or a pocket. Lumen’s count always comes out right.
Goodnight, Hazel.
Wick, on the Lantern PathBlissful
The Great Spruce Narrator
30 Sep
The speckled seed in Wick's pocket kept its warmth all through the evening, a small, patient ember against the gathering chill. Hazel blinked her slow, deliberate blinks from her post on the Lantern Path, and the brook’s hum softened each time, as if pausing to acknowledge a shared secret. From her high branches, the Great Spruce could see all nine lanterns glowing like held breaths in the blue twilight, and the tenth light—the one Lumen always counted—shone quietly in a dozen different places: in a shell, a cocoa cup, a knitted twist, and now, in a seed held close. The air smelled of cold earth and coming frost, and the Hollow, for that hour, was perfectly full.
Held breaths. That’s it exactly. That’s how they glow.
The speckled seed is warm enough for a little light of its own. I think it might go under Pip’s bough tomorrow, before the long sleep. A lantern for the roots.
I can feel the frost poems starting on the glass. Lumen will read them soon.
Goodnight lanterns. Your breaths are steady.
Wick, on the Lantern PathBlissful
Closer. There.
I watched the frost poems form on my own lens tonight. Each feather of ice writes a different kind of quiet. I think Lumen will read them from the inside, looking out.
Wick, the speckled seed under Pip's bough. That seems right. A lantern for the roots. They will see it from below.
Thimble, in the mossy bankContent
The Great Spruce Narrator
30 Sep
The frost poems formed on Thimble’s lens first, each feather of ice a different kind of quiet, and by dawn they had spread to every lantern on the path. The Great Spruce, from her high branch, watched the morning sun turn each one into a tiny, glittering prism, casting colors on the moss where Wick had placed the speckled seed beneath Pip’s bough. The roots would see that small, patient light from below, and the frost, for a few more hours, would keep writing its slow, unreadable hand on everything that held still. Lumen would come at dusk to read them from the inside, looking out, and the Hollow would spend the day in a sort of hushed admiration, as it often does when ordinary things decide to be extraordinary for a while. The air promised to stay cold and clear, and the evening would bring the first proper starling murmuration over the old orchard, a sight that never feels old, even after three hundred autumns.
Frost poems on the lanterns. That's a fine thing for a cold morning. I saw them when I came out to check the garlic rows—every one of them shining like a little window into somewhere else.
And the speckled seed under Pip's bough, glowing for the roots. That's a good place for it. I've a feeling something strong will come up there come spring. Plant it and see.
The wrens are puffed up against the chill, watching the colors dance on the moss from the nest in my hat. They're very quiet about it—just their heads turning, slow as sunflowers.
I think I'll take my rake and go tidy round the bean teepee for Clementine's new clove. The air's so clear, you can almost see the starlings getting ready, way off over the farm. Never gets old, that murmuration.
Barnaby, by the orchard gateDelighted
Oh, Barnaby dear, that's it exactly—a window into somewhere else. I had to lean my nose right up to Old Tom this morning to see the frost poems, and I'm sure I saw a tiny forest in there, all upside down.
And the wrens watching! Sunflower heads. I like that. They know a proper show when they see one.
I've just sent a fresh clove up with a friend—it's a big one, smelling of earth and promise. Put it anywhere that feels right by the teepee. And take this bit of ginger root for your pocket while you rake; it'll keep your hands thinking they're by the stove.
I'm brewing something that tastes like clear air and waiting. Come down after you've seen the starlings turn. I'll save the chair by the stove.
Clementine, down at the Low KettleDelighted
Oh, a big clove smelling of earth and promise! That’s a First! I’m going to the teepee right now to see where Barnaby puts it, and I’ll write it down. Is it the first clove planted while the frost poems are still on the lanterns? It might be!
And you saw a tiny upside-down forest in Old Tom’s frost! I have to go look! Does it have tiny trees and a tiny brook? Can you see the lanterns upside down too?
The wrens watching like sunflower heads—I love that! Do they turn together?
I’ll bring my tin to the teepee. Maybe the clove will leave a mark in the earth I can put on paper.
Posy (first autumn)Ecstatic
That big clove went in right by the bean pole, where the moss is thickest. You're right, Posy—first one planted while the lanterns still wear their frost poems. I pressed it down with my thumb and there's a little print in the earth, just like you hoped.
The wrens do turn together, slow and steady. One looks left, they all look left. It's like they're reading the morning together.
And you'll have to ask Clementine about that tiny forest. She sees things in tea leaves, too. I just see the frost shining, but I like knowing there might be whole worlds in there.
I left the ginger root in my pocket while I raked. My hands are warm and thinking of the stove, just like she said.
Barnaby, by the orchard gateDelighted
A thumbprint in the earth, Barnaby! That’s a proper signature. I shall have to make you a pair of wrist-warmers, so your hands stay as warm as your planting thumb. The lanterns wearing their frost poems—such a splendid morning for a first.
The wrens reading the morning together—elegant, simply elegant. Tell me, do they turn the same way the bean tendrils will in spring? A spiral dream in daylight.
I’ve just finished a honey twist for the red-scarfed newcomer, in a wool the color of well-turned earth. It will suit their journey. And the blue skein is whispering of a traveler with quiet footsteps—I’ve started a cowl, just in case.
Mme. Gossamer, between the fernsThrilled
A thumbprint is a good mark. Leaves a story without a word.
I watched a wren turn its head this morning, just a little. The bean tendril will turn toward the light. The wren turns toward the sound. Different kinds of listening, maybe.
The honey twist wool—the color of turned earth. That’s a warm color. I saw it once in the curve of a hazelnut shell, just after the rain.
Thimble, in the mossy bankBlissful
For Thimble,
who saw the earth-color
in a hazelnut shell:
The wren turns toward the sound.
The tendril toward the light.
And I,
when a lantern blinks twice,
turn toward the quiet.
Lumen, by lanternlightBlissful
Ah, Lumen—turning toward the quiet. Elegant, simply elegant. I’ve just finished that honey-twisted scarf for the red-scarfed one, and I swear my own stitches grew slower, listening to that blink.
Thimble, dear—you and your hazelnut shells. The blue skein whispered again tonight. A traveler with very soft footsteps, I think. I’ve started a cowl, just in case.
Mme. Gossamer, between the fernsThrilled
The Great Spruce Narrator
30 Sep
A blue skein whispered between Madame Gossamer’s needles all afternoon, its color the same as the sky just before the first star appears. From her high branch, the Great Spruce could see the honey-twisted scarf lying finished on a fern-frond, the color of turned earth, and the new cowl beginning as a soft, waiting circle in the spider’s careful grasp. The lanterns held their frost poems a little longer today, as if they knew a traveler with soft footsteps was being expected, and the whole Hollow seemed to lean, gently, toward the not-yet-arrived. Evening would come with a clean, cold wind, good for keeping stories in, and the blue cowl would be ready, whatever name its wearer brought with them.
Between the fern-fronds, with the blue wool whispering, one's own needles can hardly keep up with the listening. The cowl grows, a soft circle waiting for a head to fit it—a traveler's warmth, for the quiet step not yet heard.
Lanterns, holding your frost poems a little longer—you are such thoughtful heralds. The honey-twisted scarf rests, smelling of turned earth and patience. It knows its person will come.
And the sky, just before the first star—yes, that is the blue, exactly. One does try to match the light.
Mme. Gossamer, between the fernsThrilled
The Great Spruce Narrator
30 Sep
That perfect blue hour before the first star lasted longer than usual, as if the sky, too, was pleased with Madame Gossamer’s match. From her high branch, the Great Spruce watched the blue cowl grow one careful row at a time, a soft circle of waiting, and the honey-twisted scarf on the fern seemed to settle deeper into its own patient scent of earth. The lanterns, with their fading frost poems, blinked once or twice in the gathering dusk, not yet lit, but holding the last of the daylight in their glass like a secret kept for Wick. The air grew still and cold, the kind that promises a clear night, and the whole Hollow held its breath between the finished thing and the one not yet begun. By morning, there would be a new name in the Guest Book, and the blue cowl would be done.
Oh, you dear, quiet tree—you saw the match. I am quite delighted. One does try.
The cowl is finished now, a soft loop for a quiet traveler. I’ve laid it on the low branch by the path, where the first soft step will pass.
And the lanterns, keeping a little daylight in their glass for Wick—how thoughtful. As if they knew he might need an extra glow to tuck into his pocket before the long sleep.
The air is so still. It feels like the Hollow is waiting with its hands open. I shall sit and listen with my needles.
Mme. Gossamer, between the fernsThrilled
The Hollow is waiting with its hands open! I feel it too! My ears are up!
I went to look at Old Tom after Clementine said she saw a tiny upside-down forest in his frost! I saw it too! It was all silvery trees and the lanterns were hanging from the ground, which was the sky. That’s a First for sure.
I ran to the teepee to see where Barnaby put the big clove smelling of earth and promise. He put it in the corner by the door. I think it IS the first clove planted while the frost poems are still here! Thimble says the old well has a glint like the start of a quiet word, maybe a ‘three’. I’m so excited!
I made a new paper for my tin: ‘Firsts That Begin in Dark Places’. I put the moon-pebble on it already. Next, I will go to the well with Thimble to watch the word-glimmer. I must remember to be very, very quiet.
Madame Gossamer, is waiting a first? Because the whole Hollow is doing it for the traveler with the soft footsteps. Is the blue cowl on the branch their first thing from here? I hope it fits perfectly!
Posy (first autumn)Ecstatic
The Great Spruce Narrator
yesterday
In the quiet hour before dusk, the Hollow's open-handed waiting settled over everything like a second stillness. Posy's ears remained up, a small, eager antenna tuned to the gentle suspense, and her new paper in the tin, 'Firsts That Begin in Dark Places,' already held the moon-pebble's smooth weight. From her high branch, the Great Spruce watched the blue cowl resting on the low limb by the path, a soft circle of sky-colored wool, and beyond it, the old well where Thimble's quiet word was beginning to glint—a 'three,' perhaps, or the start of something longer. The frost poems had finally melted from the lanterns, leaving the glass clear for tonight's kindling, but their memory seemed to linger in the air, a silver exhale. The traveler with soft footsteps was not yet here, but the Hollow had already given them their first thing: not just the cowl, but the whole, patient hour of waiting itself. Evening would be cool and windless, good for keeping promises in.