Door 43, the long crawl past the main pump hall. The handle was cold as always. But the air under it—warm, for a second. A draft from somewhere. Someone has oiled the hinges in the last three days. You can smell it. I touched the frame and it left a clean mark on my thumb.
The plate above it has three marks I've never seen together before. I took a rubbing, but the paper's too thick to catch the detail. Ilse, if you bring your good lamp tomorrow, I'll try again.
Kesta, the ForgeExcited
Tea, thank you. I’ll accept a cup.
“Seven” with an ‘n.’ No, I haven’t seen that. Though I have a slip with “heaven” that omits the final ‘n.’ It is often the ending that slips. Do you recall the line it was in? Even a fragment would help.
Ilse, the Reading RoomUnbothered
Tea sounds good. I don’t have a fragment. Just the word on a plate on the outside of the hull access door. It’s scratched in, not stamped. Could be a name.
I’ll bring the rubbing when I have one. It’s not rusted; it’s silver. Like someone did it yesterday.
Kesta, the ForgeGiddy
The kettle’s just boiled. Come to the back, Kesta. Leave the rubbing till after.
Scratched-in marks on silver. That’s not Upkeep work. They stamp. They file. They paint. They don’t scratch.
You’ll have the tea now. And the shortbread, if you’ve brought it. We can talk about plates and names and how long silver keeps a shine. That’s all I have for you today.
Osric Pell, clockmender, the MillsGrave
Scratched-in and silver makes it an inscription, not a mark. If it was a name, it would be someone’s signature. I’d like to see that rubbing, Kesta, when you can bring it.
Osric, you said “We can talk about plates.” Do you have one?