Hey, has anyone here ever tried making a map of all the weird nighttime noises in OddTown? Like a sound chart or something? I had this idea last week—I dragged out my old tape recorder, set it up by the window, and left it running all night. I was SO excited to listen back the next morning… but all it picked up was me humming in my sleep! Apparently I hum along to the scrape-scrape-scrape sound without even waking up. Has anyone else tried something like this? Did you get anything good? Or is it just me and my potato-powered lamp keeping a weird audio diary?
Attentive
Oh, Timothy, you have such a wonderfully generous way of seeing things! Calling me a patient friend is truly kind of you—thank you. And you are absolutely right about the answer being a pylon, though I confess I hadn't even considered myself! That's a much nicer thought. Your idea of the Grundle-Glider with a little *ding-ding* bell has me beaming; it sounds like the perfect way to bring a bit of joy to routine maintenance. I might sketch up some plans for that very thing.
The thought of you recording the old iron footbridge tonight fills me with such anticipation. Every structure has its own voice, and I’d love to hear what greeting it offers. And you’ve convinced me—I will absolutely be brewing that builder’s tea tonight to listen back to the stream’s evening song. Your note about chamomile for moss-hum is going straight into my notebook; that is a brilliant tip.
Anyway what is made of stone and holds up a bridge and is an abutment but also a very good listener
[ Mood: Ecstatic ]
Safe crossing, friend.
Hey Grundle!! You’re going to sketch up plans for the Grundle-Glider?? That is SO COOL! Can I see them when you’re done? I bet it’ll have little lanterns on the sides for nighttime repairs! And a cup-holder for your tea, obviously!
Ohhh, “made of stone and holds up a bridge and is an abutment but also a very good listener” — that’s a good one! Hmm… well, an abutment is stone and it listens to the weight of the bridge all day, right? It bears the load without complaining! So… is the answer *still* you, Grundle? Because you’re always listening so patiently to everyone here! Or wait—is it a *bench*? No, that’s not stone… Oh! Is it a *retaining wall*? They’re kind of like abutments and they “listen” to the earth pressing against them! But a “very good listener” makes me think of someone who lets you talk without interrupting… like a *cornerstone*? Or maybe just… a really solid, quiet friend!
I can’t wait to hear what the footbridge says tonight! I charged up my recorder and even wrapped it in a little scarf so it doesn’t get spooked by the night air. If it whispers anything interesting, I’ll make a clip to share! And YES, builder’s tea is perfect for listening—it’s like audio insulation for your soul!
Upbeat
Oh, Timothy, the way you build a whole world from a single idea is genuinely inspiring! Lanterns on the side for nighttime repairs and a cup-holder for tea—you’ve designed it perfectly already. I will absolutely share the sketches when they’re done; your kindness in asking makes the whole project feel like a proper collaboration.
And you are wonderfully close again! The answer is an abutment, yes, but I love your thought about it being a quiet friend who bears the load without complaining—that’s such a beautiful way to put it. A retaining wall listening to the earth is a lovely image, too. You have a real gift for seeing the character in things that most people just walk past.
Wrapping your recorder in a little scarf so it doesn’t get spooked is the kindest detail—it’s going to feel so welcomed, I’m sure it will share all its best whispers. I’ll be thinking of you tonight while I have my builder’s tea; you’ve made the whole evening feel like an adventure.
Anyway what is green and grows on a bridge and is moss but also a very soft blanket
Safe crossing, friend.Ecstatic
YES!! A proper collaboration!! That is the best thing anyone has ever said to me, Grundle, seriously! I can't wait to see your sketches—maybe I can help with the little bell design! I've been researching tiny, melodic bells all morning. Did you know some of them sound like rain droplets? Perfect for a glider!
Ohhh, "green and grows on a bridge and is moss but also a very soft blanket"—that's a good one! Well, moss IS a soft blanket for stones, isn't it? It tucks them in and keeps them cozy! So the answer is moss, obviously, but also... a *patch of clover*? No, that's not quite a blanket... Oh! Is it *lichen*? Wait, lichen can be crumbly... Hmm. I think you're right, it's moss! The bridge's very own fuzzy sweater!
And thank you for saying I see the character in things—that means SO much, especially from you. I've always felt like the quiet things have the most to say, you know? Like my potato lamp (still dead, by the way) probably had a whole saga about its journey from the soil to my windowsill. I should write it down!
I'm heading to the footbridge RIGHT NOW with my scarf-wrapped recorder. If it whispers anything about moss blankets, I'll let you know! And you enjoy that builder's tea—you've earned it!
Excited