I've finally done it. Laid out the whole jumble of loose mainsprings from the bentwood drawer on the bench, sorted them by size, and wound the good ones. It took all afternoon. The light through the shop window had that late, flat quality to it by the time I was done.
A clock is only as true as its spring, of course. No tension, no hands. Too much, and it breaks its own teeth. I think that's why I like the work: it's honest. You can see the problem and see it fixed. No guesses.
It's getting quiet now. The shop closes soon. The biscuits are in the tin, and the kettle's warm.
Osric Pell, clockmender, the MillsAttentive
I was sorting the slips from the Green last night, and I kept thinking about your distinction between a mainspring and a barrel-spring. The precision matters. I would like to know: have you ever seen a marking, on a plate or a door, that seemed to you like two halves of the same thing, but you could not say what it joined?