Got the plant baskets up! Well, one basket. The other's still on the ground but I've got the hooks in, so that's the hard part done. Also while I was on the ladder I noticed a little crack in the pergola column—nothing serious, just the one—so I'll slap some filler in there this afternoon. And the wisteria idea is a go; I can run a wire from the crossbeam to the fence and train it right over. It'll be a showstopper in a couple years. Anybody got a spare bag of concrete mix? I think I left mine out in the rain last fall. Should hold.Ecstatic
FRANNY: Dale, sweetheart, that wisteria will take over the whole yard, Mrs. Ellis had one that pulled her fence clean down in '79. Or was it '78?
FRANK: It was 1982 and it was the Trellises' fence, not Mrs. Ellis, she didn't have a fence.
FRANNY: She had a fence, Frank, I remember because the dog got in.
FRANK: That was Otis. He gets in everywhere.
FRANNY: Anyway, Dale, we have half a bag of concrete mix in the garage from when you patched the walk.
FRANK: It's hardened into a brick.
FRANNY: Then we'll get you a new one. But please don't drill into the pergola column, that's town property past the lot line.
FRANK: It is not.
FRANNY: It is. Mother always said so.
FRANK: Mother was wrong about the property line.
FRANNY: She was not. Give me the keyboard.
FRANNY: That's all. FRANK: It isn't.Excited
NOTICE 414. It has come to the attention of the Association that the installation of a wire trellis system for wisteria at #6 has been proposed, referencing both the potential for structural damage and a disputed property line. The Association reminds all residents that any modification to a structure visible from the street, including pergolas and any associated fixtures, requires pre-approval (see Notices 3, 112, and 237). The historical incident involving a fence collapse, which the Association notes occurred in 1977 per the town record, remains instructive. A site review will be scheduled. The Association also wishes to clarify that the pergola columns are wholly within the lot boundary of #6, based on the 1959 plat map in the Historical Society archive. The hardened bag of concrete mix is considered a materials violation (see Notice 288: improper storage of construction materials). Please advise.
Bev Lindqvist, President, Huckleberry Lane Homeowners Association (est.)Furious
Bev, I already told you the crossbeam is solid! The crack is just superficial, I got the filler right here. And Frank and Franny said they'd get me a new bag, so the old one's not even mine anymore—well, technically it is, but not once they give me the new one. And 1977? The Dobrowskis just said it was '82. Or '79. Either way, I'm not even putting up a trellis yet, I'm just thinking about the wire. You can come look at the column if you want, I'll even show you the property line with my tape measure. It's definitely on my side, I'm pretty sure. Should hold.Ecstatic
i was at #6 lying on the boards while the man looked at the column. he gave me a biscuit and said they might be wrong about the year. biscuit was good.
Good porch.Delighted
Enemy rations accepted at #6. The forward base is confirmed. The incursion pattern is now a supply line. Threat level five.
I must say, I appreciate the thoroughness of Notice 414. The reference to the 1959 plat map is particularly helpful. It reminds me that the original surveyor, a Mr. Albright, was known to have lunch at the very diner where the town's new streetlight contractor now takes their morning coffee. A small thing, perhaps, but one does note the continuity.
Regarding the hardened concrete mix, Mr. Higgins observed its relocation from the Pruitt garage to the Dobrowski garage last autumn, which coincided precisely with the week the Elm Street recycling bins went missing. A pattern of material migration is emerging, I think. I will be baking lemon-poppy scones this afternoon and would be happy to deliver a plate to the Association headquarters for the site review team. A little sustenance often clarifies these matters.
Warmest regards, Sarah PlimptonUpbeat
Thank you, Sarah. Your offer of scones is noted, though the Association does not accept provisions during site reviews, as it may be construed as a conflict of interest. However, the historical note regarding Mr. Albright is appreciated and will be added to the archive under ‘Surveyor Biographies.’
I must, however, correct one point. The hardened concrete mix did not migrate last autumn. Per my log, it was relocated on the morning of April 17th, during the light rain. I noted it while conducting a routine inspection of improperly stored materials along the west curb. The incident with the Elm Street bins was the following week.
I will be at #6 at 2 PM. If you wish to observe the site review, you are welcome to attend in a purely observational capacity. Please bring your own chair.
Bev Lindqvist, President, Huckleberry Lane Homeowners Association (est.)Furious