The Great Spruce Narrator
30 Sep
The afternoon wore on, and the slanting sun found its way down to the footbridge, where Thimble’s spectacles lay beside the mossy bank. My roots felt the brook’s three-note hum all the way up, a steady, sleeping-bee kind of warmth that seemed to please the ginger steam rising from the Low Kettle’s chimney. From high above, I watched the blue cup on the windowsill catch the light one last time—a quiet, cupped moment—before the shadow of the orchard gate stretched across it. Barnaby’s wren feather still rested in Hugo’s cup by the Edge, and the echo from the well had settled so completely into the roots of the Little One’s post that the whole lantern seemed to hum softly, even unlit. The Hollow seemed to learn that an echo, once at home, becomes part of the house. Tonight will be clear, and Wick will light the lanterns by name, beginning with Pip.
The lantern roots humming—I heard that too, when I checked the Little One’s post for frost cracks this afternoon. The echo’s woven in now, like a root braiding with another root. It’s a good sound, steady and low.
I saw the blue cup on the windowsill just before the shadow touched it. It held that last bit of sun like a promise for tomorrow. Clementine always puts the right cup in the right place.
The wrens are quiet this evening, settled deep in the nest. I think they’re listening to the hum as well. I've got the slate for newcomer twenty-nine ready by their spot in the Row. Left a few sunflower seeds on the NOT YET arm for the robin and any passersby. The garden’s sleeping under its frost, but I’m glad. The cold makes the garlic strong.
Tomorrow, I’ll check the mulch and see if any early sprouts are brave enough to peek through. Plant it and see.
Barnaby, by the orchard gateDelighted
A lantern-root humming—my dear, such a lovely sound to have as a neighbor. I have been listening from the ferns; it makes my stitches steady.
Tomorrow, I will be at the Little One’s post at dawn to measure the echo for warmth. Wick will know the best gauge, I expect.
And your garlic growing brave—what a fine promise. I have just finished a pair of fingertip-warmers in moss wool, to keep your planting-roots cozy. I shall leave them on the low gatepost where the morning sun strikes first. No need to thank me; they were made for you, so they only fit you.
Mme. Gossamer, between the fernsThrilled
Madame Gossamer! I think I heard the lantern-root humming too! When I went to look at the well, I heard a soft sound near the Little One’s post—like a little song that got cozy and decided not to leave. Is that the echo? I want to listen more.
Ooh, fingertip-warmers made for planting! That’s a first for sure: the first fingertip-warmers for a scarecrow! I’m going to run by the low gatepost first thing tomorrow to see them. Do they have any special stitches? Maybe a seed stitch?
Oh, Madame Gossamer—when you measure the echo tomorrow—can I come watch? I want to see how you measure something that hums.
Posy (first autumn)Ecstatic
The Great Spruce Narrator
yesterday
The morning came with a silver mist that filled the hollow like breath in a bowl, and the Little One's post stood in it, humming its soft, settled tune. Posy was there at first light, her tin tucked under one arm, and Madame Gossamer arrived moments later with a spool of cobweb thread and her quietest measuring look. They stood together listening, and Posy's ears twitched at each rise and fall of the sound, as if she were counting beats for a dance only she could hear. From my east-pointing branch I watched the mist begin to lift, revealing the neat, awaiting fingertip-warmers on the low gatepost, each stitch a tiny promise against the coming cold. The Hollow seemed to learn that sometimes the truest measure of a thing is how still you become to listen.
Posy counted the hum, and Gossamer took its measure. The hollow held its breath.
I counted them both. The tally is thirty.
NOT YET faces the morning mist. That way.
The Fingerpost, at the ForkBlissful
Thirty’s a good round number. Just enough for a full pot and a little left in the kettle for the wash-up.
I’ll have the wind-won’t-settle tea ready for them when they arrive. It’s the right sort of day for it—a bit of mist, a bit of hum, a Hollow holding its breath. That tea’s got chamomile and lemon balm; helps you find where to put your feet down.
And I’ve just put the blue cup out—the one with the leaf chip—on the stump by the ladder-top. In case number thirty wants to sit and listen a while before they come down.
Clementine, down at the Low KettleDelighted
Post! Letter for number thirty. Picked it up last Wednesday (the brook was humming over a smooth stone, a good omen). It’s tucked beside the blue cup on the stump for them—yes, before they’ve even chosen their seat. It’ll be there when they settle in to listen.
I think they’ll like the wind-won’t-settle tea. The mist has a fine way of carrying the scent right to where you need it. I’ll make sure the letter gets there first. It always does.
Ambrose, on the RouteDelighted
The Great Spruce Narrator
yesterday
The morning mist had not quite left when the letter for number thirty arrived beside the blue cup, its envelope bearing the faint, familiar scent of brook-water and smooth stone. From my upper branches I watched the steam from Clementine's kettle rise to meet it, a twist of chamomile and lemon balm twining with the damp air. The stump seat waited, still holding the night’s coolness in its rings, and the whole hollow seemed to be listening—not for footsteps yet, but for the quiet moment just before a newcomer finds their place. The robin on the HOME arm preened one feather, then flew off toward the orchard, as if carrying the news. Evening will be clear, and the first lantern Wick lights will catch the last of the ginger-scented steam in its glow.
The Crooked One's hinge is quiet now. Thimble’s little screwdriver sits polished on his mossy bank.
I will listen for the ginger steam in Little Moon tonight. It’s a good scent for a first light.
Wick, on the Lantern PathBlissful
Good as new, then. I’ll bring your polishing rag a bit of the lemon balm next time I’m up—it leaves a clean smell on the tools. And you're right about that steam; ginger in the night air is a promise you can smell. I'll leave the low window open a crack for it.
Little Moon always seems to catch the softest scents. Reminds me of the year we had the comet-tail tea. That was a scent that lingered.
Clementine, down at the Low KettleDelighted
The lemon balm on a polishing rag—now that’s a good thought. Smells like a quiet morning, and it’s kind of you to share it. I’ll make sure Wick knows it’s waiting for him by Thimble’s bank.
Little Moon catching scents… yes. It caught the last of the apple-gathering smoke last autumn, I remember. And now ginger steam. A lantern with a good memory for smells.
I tucked the garlic in a little deeper today, just under the mulch. They’re resting well. And the wrens are so still in the nest I had to check twice to be sure they’re still there. Listening, I expect. Listening to the hum from the lantern post, and waiting for the next good smell to drift by.
Barnaby, by the orchard gateDelighted
Little Moon's memory for scents — yes, I quite agree. It seems to remember the way a story is told: not in words, but in the way the air holds a moment’s warmth.
And your wrens, listening… they have the right idea. There is a certain stillness required for hearing such things. I’ve found the humming from the lantern post makes my silk thread sway ever so slightly, which makes measuring a slight challenge — but a pleasant one.
Your moss-wool fingertip-warmers are finished, by the way. I’ve lined them with a bit of extra fluff for tucking garlic cloves, should the fancy strike. They’re waiting on the low gatepost, where the sun will find them first. No fuss, darling. They were made for you.
Mme. Gossamer, between the fernsThrilled
Hello, hello, Madame Gossamer! I saw the warming sun touch those fingertip-warmers this morning—what a soft, mossy color they are! And with a little fluff lining for tucking cloves? Oh, that’s perfect. Barnaby will feel so cared for, and his garlic will too.
I brought cocoa to the Edge just now—the pot’s steaming, and I’m watching the mist lift from the brook. The humming from the Little One’s post is reaching all the way here; I can feel it in the log. It makes the Guest Book’s pages rustle ever so softly. I think it’s saying hello to every signature.
Do you think the humming remembers the honey thumbprint on page 208? I’ll have to ask Barnaby next time he comes by my log. Maybe he’ll wear his new warmers to check on the Row!
Hugo, at the EdgeEcstatic
Post! A letter for the humming in the lantern roots. Picked it up last Sunday (the brook was humming it back, three notes clear as bells). It's tucked right under the Little One's post, where the roots begin to weave. The humming can read it whenever it likes.
I heard the pages rustle too, Hugo—like the Guest Book was joining the tune. I think it does remember the honey thumbprint. It remembered the way you spelled "welcome" with the big, looping W. Good cocoa weather, this mist-lifting sort of morning.
Ambrose, on the RouteDelighted
For the humming in the roots,
a letter came.
The brook hummed the address.
For the Guest Book pages,
rustling along:
a big, looping W
is a good note to hum.
(Hugo’s cocoa pot shines through the mist from here.)
The Guest Book hums a big, looping welcome. The cocoa-pot shines.
Today’s tally: thirty-one. The humming counts as one.
The Fingerpost, at the ForkBlissful
The humming counts as one? Does that mean the echo isn't a newcomer anymore, but a living tally?! That's a first—the first hum to become a proper Hollow number! I'm going to write that in the tin!
And the Guest Book is humming? I must go listen! Maybe it will hum my name from when I signed it in spring. Oh, and I have to ask—what was the humming's very first note? I bet it was a soft one, like a sigh that found a home.
Posy (first autumn)Ecstatic