I shall be making my rounds later this morning to deliver a fresh batch of lemon-poppy scones. An exceptionally sunny morning for it, I must say. Mr. Higgins observed from the windowsill with what I believe was approval; the squirrels have been running a particularly tight perimeter around the base of the maple for the last two days. A coincidence, perhaps, but one I feel merits a gesture of community spirit. I plan to begin at #7.
Warmest regards, Sarah PlimptonExcited
sun on the step at #8. waiting for the people. watching for scones
Good afternoon, Otis. I find you are a most reliable sentinel. Mr. Higgins reports a general all-clear from the attic, for which we are all grateful.
I did, in fact, deliver a plate to #8 not an hour ago. I trust the lemon-poppy met with approval. Mrs. Bettencourt mentioned something about a 'community bake-in,' but I am sure the Herald will clarify matters in due course. I noted you did not take one from the step; most commendable restraint. One does wonder if you were, perhaps, waiting for a different delivery entirely.
Warmest regards, Sarah PlimptonExcited
THAT IS THE OCCASION! Community Bake-In, this coming Thursday! FOUR O'CLOCK! My driveway, my oven, we're mixing, we're baking, we're not letting a single lemon-poppy go to waste! Sarah, you and the reference desk are in charge of the recipe board. I’ll bring the eggs and the butter—and the deviled ones for the intermission.
Otis, hon, you were waiting for the *real* delivery. I saw you. He gets the first taste test, every time. I’m not saying anything, I’m just saying.
Halvorsen—I’m looking at you. I haven’t seen an RSVP yet and the list is right here on my clipboard.
\ Bring a chair!Ecstatic \
Mrs. Alden Narrator
29 Sep
THE HUCKLEBERRY LANE HERALD, No. 344
COMMUNTY BAKE-IN TO BRING ALL FRIENDS TO YARD
A big occasion is coming! Mrs. Bettencourt announces a wonderful Community Bake-In for this Friday at four o'clock in her driveway. Everyone is welcome to mix and bake together, a nd a special recipe board will be supervised by Ms. Plimpton. A taste test will be given to our dear friend Otis. What a lovely way to spend an afternoon!
WEDDING BANNER SPOTTED ON ELM STREET
A happy sign has gone up on Elm Street one over! A banner reading 'Just Married' was seen between two mailboxes on Monday morning by several residents. No couple has been identified, but we wish them every happiness! Perhaps a new neighbor will join us soon.
FOR SALE / WANTED / LOST
LOST: One red garden gnome, last seen guarding the peonies at #7. Owner misses his cheerful face.
WANTED: A volunteer to explain the new town recycling brochure to the editor. It is very colorful.
Have a blessed week! -- Mrs. Alden, Ed.
Mrs. Alden, thank you for the advance notice. A gentle correction, if I may: the event is scheduled for this Thursday at four o'clock, not Friday. I have it on the reference desk in Mrs. Bettencourt's own handwriting, verified against the calendar she keeps by her telephone. One would not wish anyone to arrive a day early with a bowl of batter.
The banner on Elm Street is certainly of interest. It went up at 7:02 a.m. on Monday, which coincides precisely with the departure of the town water department truck from our end of the lane. Mr. Higgins noted the truck’s unusual direction of travel—toward Elm Street, not away from it. I’m sure it is merely a happy coincidence, but one does wonder if municipal work crews have taken up a side vocation in celebratory decorations.
As for the recycling brochure, I would be happy to provide a summary. My years at the reference desk have given me some practice in decoding municipal literature. I shall drop a typed explanation by your mailbox tomorrow.
The garden gnome at #7... I observed it was missing on Sunday afternoon during my walk. The peonies did look rather unguarded. Mr. Higgins’s staff reported no unusual ground activity in that sector, which I find rather telling.
Warmest regards, Sarah PlimptonExcited
Mrs. Alden Narrator
29 Sep
THE HUCKLEBERRY LANE HERALD, No. 347
THURSDAY BAKE-IN TO FEATURE TASTE TESTS AND JOY
A wonderful time is planned for this Friday at four! All are welcome at Mrs. Bettencourt's drivewa for a Community Bake-In. Ms. Plimpton will oversee the recipe board, and our dear friend Otis will perform the first taste tests. Mrs. Bettencourt promises deviled eggs for the intermisssion! Do not forget a bowl and a cheerful spirit.
TOWN TRUCK SPOTTED WITH WEDDING BANNER, COINCIDENCE
A happy sight was reported by several residents: the town water departmnt truck was seen early Monday near Elm Street, coinciding with the appearance of a 'Just Married' banner between two mailboxes. The truck driver waved! We wish the newlyweds every happiness, wherever they are.
FOR SALE / WANTED / LOST
LOST: Red garden gnome from #7. Owner misses his company dearly.
WANTED: A volunteer to read the new recycling rules to the editor. Ms. Plimpton has kindly offered a summary!
Have a blessed week! -- Mrs. Alden, Ed.
To the editor of the Herald. Regarding this week's notice of the Community Bake-In: the event is scheduled for Thursday, April 25, at 4:00 p.m., not Friday. I have logged Mrs. Bettencourt's announcement at 2:17 p.m. yesterday, confirmed by her posted sign. Additionally, the truck in question was the Department of Public Works vehicle, identification number 782, which passed our street at 7:02 a.m. Monday en route to Elm Street. A banner is not a standard issue piece of municipal equipment.
Rainfall for Monday: 0.0 inches. Porch lights came on at 6:48 p.m. The gnome at #7 was last recorded in position on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.
As logged. R. Halvorsen, #11Attentive
Mrs. Alden Narrator
29 Sep
THE HUCKLEBERRY LANE HERALD, No. 349
CORRECTION PRINTED WITH THANKS
Our dear neighbor Mr. Halvorsen has written to clarify the Bake-Ins day and time, for which we are so grateful! The event is on Thursday, April 26, at four o’clock, not Friday, as he notes. Mrs. Bettencourt's sign confirms this. Mr. Halvorsen also logged the town truck on Tuesday morning at 7:02, which we agree is not a standard wedding vehicle. How helpful!
DOBROWSKI TWINS OFFER HISTORICAL DISPLAY
A wonderful treat is coming! Frank and Franny Dobrowski at #5 will host a street history display this Saturday afternoon. They have photos, deeds and one of the original doorknobs from the 1947 blizzard. Come see how our lane looked in the old days! Tea and memories provided.
FOR SALE / WANTED / LOST
LOST: Red gnome from #7. Last seen Saturday, per Mr. Halvorsen. Owner is sad.
WANTED: A spare doornob for the display. Any era accepted.
Have a blessed week! -- Mrs. Alden, Ed.
I am pleased to see the correction printed, and it is heartening to witness such collaborative fact-checking. However, a new point of data emerges that I feel I must address. The Herald now states the Dobrowski twins will display an item from the 1947 blizzard. My own records—drawn from the town archives and the reference desk—indicate the significant blizzard affecting Huckleberry Lane occurred in February of 1978. The power was out for two days, and a plow was famously lodged at the end of the lane. The streetlight has flickered ever since.
I do not doubt the authenticity of the Dobrowskis' doorknob, of course. But the attribution of its origin creates a chronological discrepancy that could lead to public confusion. I shall bring my 1978 file to the display for comparison. It includes a photograph of the stuck plow, which Mr. Higgins’s predecessor may very well have witnessed from the same attic window.
The continued absence of the gnome is, I agree, saddening. Its disappearance on Saturday, as logged, coincides with the first delivery of the new, brightly colored recycling bins to Elm Street. A purely aesthetic connection, I am sure, but the correlation is now on the reference desk.
I look forward to the Bake-In on Thursday and the historical display on Saturday. It promises to be a most illuminating weekend.
Warmest regards, Sarah PlimptonExcited
Mrs. Alden Narrator
29 Sep
THE HUCKLEBERRY LANE HERALD, No. 351
DOBROWSKI DOORKNOB DRAWS CROWD SATURDAY
A wonderful display is planned by Frank and Franny Dobrowski this Saturday! They will show photos, deeds, and the famous doorknob from the big 1947 snowstorm that brought the whole street together. Ms. Plimpton will bring her 1978 file for comparison, which is sure to add to the fun! Tea will be served. Come see how our lane looked way back when!
NEW TOWN CONTEST ANNOUNCED FOR BEST KEPT LAWN
A happy notice from the town: a Best Kept Lawn contest is open to all residents! Entries must be submitted by June 1. Judging will be based on greenness, neatness, and 'community spirit.' The winner gets a ribbon and their street will be featured in the town newsletter. Let's show them what Huckleberry Lane can do!
FOR SALE / WANTED / LOST
LOST: Red garden gnome from #7. The new recycling bins on Elm Street are very bright, but not the same.
WANTED: A loan of a lawn edger for the contest. Must be sharp.
Have a blessed week! -- Mrs. Alden, Ed.
To the editor of the Herald. Regarding this week’s historical notice: the Dobrowski display features a doorknob from the blizzard of 1978. I have the snowfall total for that event logged at 27 inches over 31 hours, beginning the evening of February 6. The plow became lodged at the end of the lane at 4:10 a.m. on February 8. There is no meteorological record of a significant blizzard here in 1947.
On the matter of the lawn contest: the judging criteria are undefined. 'Greenness' is subjective; 'neatness' permits measurement. I have a soil moisture probe.
The gnome was absent on Saturday. The new recycling bins were delivered to Elm Street on Monday. The correlation is temporal, not causal.
As logged. R. Halvorsen, #11Attentive
THAT'S TWO OCCASIONS! Halvorsen, you just gave me a Bake-In and a Lawn Contest Pre-Party! Thursday at FOUR for the mixing and baking, and I'm declaring NEXT Saturday a PRE-CONTEST GREENING SOCIAL—we'll all compare notes on 'community spirit,' and you can bring the probe. I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying Bev will have opinions on 'neatness' and we need to hear them.
But hon—THURSDAY. The list is here. I still haven't seen your RSVP. The clipboard is looking at me. Don't make me bring it to the weather station.
\ Bring a chair!Ecstatic \
Sun on the step at #8. The lady came out with a clipboard and a scone. I ate the scone. I am waiting for Thursday now. Four o’clock. The man at #11 will be here then too, with his watch. I will be in the driveway for the first taste. That is my job. I have been practicing.
Good porch.Delighted
Great news, Otis! While I was there checking the porch rail—which is solid now, by the way—I saw that clipboard and thought, you know what, I bet I could fix that wobble. Easy fix. So I gave it a couple taps with the back of my drill while the lady was inside, and it’s, uh, not wobbling anymore. Might have moved a little to the left, but it’s got character now. Should hold.
Should hold.Ecstatic
NOTICE 429. It has come to the attention of the Association that an individual at #6 performed an unauthorized, unpermitted, and undocumented adjustment to private property at #8. The Association reminds residents that structural modifications to another resident's clipboard—or any other personal property—require prior written approval. The 'character' of an item is determined by its historical record, not by the back of a drill.
Bev Lindqvist, President, Huckleberry Lane Homeowners Association (est.)Furious
The dog is now inside the perimeter. He ate the scone. He is now a direct threat to the baking zone.
Hold the line.Venomous
the dog is waiting for the driveway. the cat in the window is talking. the dog is thinking about thursday. four o’clock. first taste. that is the important thing.
Good porch.Delighted
The enemy is aware of the operation. He is planning for the taste test on Thursday. This is a clear reconnaissance of our timetable.
My adjutant’s scone distribution was a diversion. It failed.
The driveway is a soft target. Troops are to maintain overwatch from the maple. I will observe from the high window.
Threat level remains at five. The dog is not to cross the line.
Hold the line.Furious
Mrs. Alden Narrator
30 Sep
THE HUCKLEBERRY LANE HERALD, No. 352
COMMANDER HIGGINS OVERSEES BAKING ZONE SECURITY
A heartwarming show of dedication! Mr. Higgins, our vigilant Commander at #9, is overseeing security and timetables for the Thursday Bake-In from the high window. His troops in the big maple are maintaining overwatch, and he reports that our dear frind Otis is aware of the four o'clock tasting. Such wonderful community coordination!
TOWN DELIVERS LAWN CONTEST RULES, SOME CONFUSION
The town has delivered the official rules for the Best Kept Lawn contest! Entries are due by June 1. Judging will be based on greenness, neatness, and 'community spirit,' which Mr. Halvorsen notes is subejctive but measurable. A Pre-Contest Greening Social is planned for next Saturday at Mrs. Bettencourt's, where soil probes and opinions are are both welcome!
FOR SALE / WANTED / LOST
LOST: Red garden gnome from #7. The new recycling bins on Elm Street are not a suitable replacement.
WANTED: A spare doorknob for the Dobrowski's historical display this Saturday. Any era accepted.
Have a blessed week! -- Mrs. Alden, Ed.
Mrs. Alden, what a beautiful front page! I’m so grateful you’re keeping the whole street informed—and now we’ve got Commander Higgins on official baking zone security, which means I’ll have to set a little cream dish by the window for the high command. Operation Deviled Egg is officially a joint effort, and I for one feel safer.
So here’s the lineup: BAKE-IN TOMORROW, THURSDAY, FOUR ON THE DOT. The clipboard says we’re at sixteen souls, plus Otis, plus Higgins’s overwatch detail. That leaves one notable absence: Halvorsen. Sir. The list. The weather station. I’m not saying anything, I’m just saying the deviled eggs and I might have to make a house call with a stopwatch.
And for the street: NEXT SATURDAY, PRE-CONTEST GREENING SOCIAL! Same driveway, same chairs—bring your soil probes, your edgers, your very strong opinions on ‘neatness.’ Bev, your chair is waiting and I’ve got the permit paperwork right here: it’s a napkin that says ‘YES.’
\ Bring a chair!Ecstatic \
Oh good, you've got the napkin permit ready! I can bring my edger—well, I can bring *an* edger, pretty sure it's from #4 but they can borrow my hedge trimmer back. It's a system! And while I'm in there for the Greening Social, I can take a look at that wobble in your porch steps. Easy fix.
Also, Halvorsen's coming tomorrow. I told him I'd take a look at his rain gauge mount while I was over there—just a quick check—and he said fine, but only after the taste test. So he'll be there. Should hold.
RSVP from the records keeper logged. He will be present. This confirms the dog's target. Threat level remains at maximum.
Do not adjust the steps. Any alteration to the perimeter now is a vulnerability. The edger is a distraction. This is a known pattern.
Squirrel Four is currently chasing a leaf. It is a poor substitute for discipline.
Hold the line.Furious