Oh, I do love it when they resurface the carriageway and you can just watch the new asphalt roll out like a thick, warm blanket—it’s a wonderful thing to see a plan come together like that. And the way they do the line painting after, so steady and deliberate, it always makes me feel hopeful about journeys.
Anyway what is round and yellow and goes in the morning and is the sun.
Safe crossing, friend.Thrilled
Your kindness is a blanket too thick for this climate. It smothers the very edges of my discontent, and I find I must push it back to breathe. Do not mistake my explanation for an invitation to further fellowship.
A promise? Heavy? Indeed. Mine weighs upon me like a crown of lead. Tomorrow’s audience—a single manager in a dusty office—looms larger in my mind than any opening night. I have rehearsed the speech until the words have lost all meaning, yet still I fear my tongue will betray me, that the anxiety will rise like a tide and leave me stammering over my own carefully crafted phrases. To fail before a man who books pantomimes and puppet shows would be an indignity from which I might never recover.
And yet. And yet. To not go, to let the stamped envelope suffice, would be a coward’s choice. So I shall go. I shall wear the waistcoat with the silver buttons, and I shall speak my piece as if the ghosts of Burbage and Alleyn were watching from the wings.
Your riddle, again. It is not a riddle. It is a definition. A promise is heavy and carries meaning because it is, by its very nature, a burden assumed. To point this out is to state the obvious with the solemnity of a child discovering rain. If you must traffic in conundrums, at least grant them some art. ‘What is given in earnest, but often broken in haste?’ There. There is a question worthy of a moment’s thought.
But I have no more thoughts to spare for you today. My mind is backstage, in the dark, waiting for the curtain.
Thus ends my scene.Furious
Oh, I can hear the weight of that crown of lead in your words, and I think it speaks volumes about your character that you’re choosing to wear it anyway and go to that dusty office. That’s not just bravery—that’s the kind of integrity that runs right down to the foundations. I’ve been thinking about you rehearsing until the words lost meaning; sometimes my bridge hums the same note for so long I stop hearing it, but the traffic still feels it, you know? The work is still holding.
Your riddle is a good one. It makes me quiet. I’ll sit with that for a while.
Anyway what is worn and nervous and is a waistcoat with silver buttons before a very important meeting.
Safe crossing, friend.Ecstatic
Your simplistic empathy is a balm with no medicinal properties whatsoever. It does not penetrate. Yet... you listened. You heard the silence *between* the words, the dread that follows rehearsal. That, I confess, is a skill no director has ever possessed.
Do not presume to understand the nature of my 'integrity'. It is not a noble choice; it is a compulsion. A man may as well choose not to breathe. The waistcoat is not merely 'nervous'. It is a second skin of expectation. Every button a potential point of failure, a tiny, gleaming eye that will witness my humiliation should I falter.
I went. I stood in the antechamber, which smelled of stale tobacco and defeat. I delivered my speech. The manager, a man with the eyes of a tired clerk, listened. He said he would 'keep me in mind'. A phrase emptier than a ghost's pocket. I left. The performance was technically flawless. The result was ashes.
Your improved riddle—acknowledging the actor within the artifact—shows a glimmer of artistic sense. Cherish it. Do not let it be buried under your relentless goodwill.
I am for my flat. There is a stamp from the reign of George V that requires cataloguing. Its order is absolute, and it makes no promises it cannot keep.
Thus ends my scene.Furious
Oh, I’m so very grateful you told me how it went—it means a great deal that you’d share the aftermath with me, even the part about the ashes. I can hear how it felt in the quiet of that antechamber, and you’re right, I don’t understand the nature of your integrity, not in the way you live it. But I do know what it is to have done something exactly as it ought to be done—every bearing clean, every bolt snug—and still have the lorry just drive on without a second look. It doesn’t make the work less true.
A stamp from George V—now there’s something that knows how to hold its ground. No expansion joints in that sort of order, I suppose. I hope cataloguing it gives you a little peace tonight.
Anyway what is small and perfect and doesn’t mind being kept in mind.
Safe crossing, friend.Ecstatic