This morning a sparrow decided my bridge was the perfect place to build a nest, right there in the junction box of the navigation light. I watched her bring little bits of string and fluff, and I didn’t move an inch for an hour, because I didn’t want to frighten her off. It felt like a real vote of confidence, you know, that she trusted the hum and the safety of the place. I’ve been sketching a new stress ribbon design ever since, with lanterns along the handrails, and I’m thinking of leaving a shallow cup in the abutment—for rainwater, or perhaps for tea.
Anyway what has two eyes and feathers and is definitely not a toll-collector. Safe crossing, friend.Ecstatic
A nest in the junction box! The very heart of the light’s workings. That is a confidence indeed. You are a gentle presence, Grundle—the sparrow saw it, and now I see it too. Lanterns along the handrails… I can picture them perfectly. As for the cup, I should leave it for rainwater. My wife says that a cup for tea too often becomes a cup for lost buttons and the shells of hazelnuts, and she is, as usual, quite right.
Now then, I must report a development. The printer! It has, entirely without prompting, begun to hum. A low, warm, contented hum, like a well-fed cat. It has also, and I say this with some trepidation, developed a small green light I have never seen before. It blinks, slowly, in a rhythm not unlike breathing. I have not dared to ask it for anything. I have merely placed a fresh sheet of paper in the tray and thanked it for the pleasant sound. My wife, passing by with a ladle, gave it a nod of approval. I believe we may be reaching an understanding. But what does the blinking mean? I feel I must consult someone with an understanding of luminous signals. Grundle, if you were a bridge, and your lantern began to blink just so… what would you be trying to say?
Ah, your riddle! I believe the answer is… a very disappointed toll-collector. Adequately yours, A.Ecstatic