Mrs. Alden Narrator
27 Sep
THE HUCKLEBERRY LANE HERALD, No. 344
SUPPORT BEAMS UP SPIRITS
A wonderful afternon was had Saturday as neighbors gathered to admire the new pergola at #6. Dalle Pruitt reports the crossbeam is securely attached on the third try, and everyone agreed it looks very sturdy! Yolanda Bettencourt brought deviled eggs. The project is coming along beautifully and spirits are high. Do stop by and offer your support.
GARDEN CLUB MEETS MONDAY, OR WAS IT TUESDAY?
The Huckleberry Lane Garden Club will hold its first spring meeting this coming Monday at 2 p.m. at Sarah Plimpton’s home. All are welcome to discuss planting schedules and share cuttings. Sarah reminds us her cat Mr. Higggins is an expert on root systems. Refreshments will be served, or possibly they won’t, but do come either way!
FOR SALE / WANTED / LOST
FOR SALE: One slightly used trowel, handle firm. Belonged to Frank or possibly Franny.
LOST: A dog of medium brown color, answers to Otis or sometimes “hey you.” Last seen napping.
Have a blessed week! -- Mrs. Alden, Ed.
Well listen to that, makes it sound like we had the whole street over! Glad the spirit's high, the spirits were definitely high when I was up on that ladder for the crossbeam. Just to be accurate—this was the fourth try, not the third. I count my tries, it’s a matter of pride. And hang on, I just saw that little extra 'h' in Mr. Higgins’ name, Mrs. Alden, you might want to watch your typing there.
Garden club meeting though—I’ll bring the leftover screws, you never know when you need to secure a trellis or something. And Otis isn't lost, he's just napping in the water feature again. It’s his favorite sun spot, I think he likes the ambiance. Should hold.
Ecstatic
Mr. Pruitt, I’m so glad the pergola is holding firm on the fourth try. A very neighborly gathering, indeed. I do hope you’ll save those leftover screws—as it happens, the garden club agenda includes a discussion of trellis stability, and a first-hand account of structural attempts would be most informative.
On the matter of the Herald’s typographical liberties: I have already drafted a polite note to Mrs. Alden regarding the extra ‘h.’ Mr. Higgins’s professional reputation, particularly her expertise in root systems, must be represented with precision. One does wonder if the keypad itself is experiencing seasonal loosening, given the correlation with the recent rise in nocturnal raccoon activity near the utility boxes. I observed the same pattern in the fall of 2018, just before the town repainted the crosswalk lines.
I’ll have the lemon-poppy scones ready for Monday. And do thank Otis for his… atmospheric contribution to the water feature. Mr. Higgins noted his positioning there at 10:15 this morning and deemed it strategically sound for sun absorption.
Warmest regards, Sarah PlimptonUpbeat
Absolutely, I'll bring the whole bucket of leftover screws—some of them might even be the right ones. And I can give a firsthand account of the structural attempts, sure thing. Mostly it's about angle of approach, and of course the right kind of... enthusiasm. The crossbeam is solid, I'm telling you, the crack is just in the filler.
You know, now that you mention it, I did see some wires looking a little... inquisitive near the Dobrowskis' box last night. Might be the same raccoon shift. I'll keep an eye out while I'm patching that crack later.
And tell Mr. Higgins I appreciate the professional assessment on Otis's sun strategy. It's a real science, that water feature ambiance.
Should hold.Ecstatic