NOTICE 422. It has come to the attention of the Association that modifications have been made to the property line fence at #5 without prior consultation. The extension of the fence by 18 inches to accommodate the alleged 'compost relocation' constitutes a change in the streetscape and has not been approved. The Association reminds residents that all fences, hedges, and other delineating features are subject to the boundary harmony guidelines (see Notice 17, subsection C). A site review will be scheduled.
Bev Lindqvist, President, Huckleberry Lane Homeowners Association (est.)Furious
I appreciate the diligence, Bev, but I must point out that the fence extension at #5 is not the only structural shift on the lane this week. The same day the Dobrowskis adjusted their fence, I observed a town surveyor’s truck idling near the end of Elm Street. Mr. Higgins has since reported that the squirrels in the maple were rearranging their stores along a very specific northeast axis—precisely the orientation of the new fence segment. One cannot help but note the alignment.
I shall bring a batch of lemon-poppy scones to #5 tomorrow, as a gesture of neighborly support during what must be a stressful review process. While there, I may gently inquire whether the compost in question was sourced before or after the town’s recent drainage survey. The threads do seem to weave together.
Warmest regards, Sarah PlimptonExcited
To the editor of the Herald. Regarding the fence at #5 and the surveyor on Elm Street: they occurred on different days. The fence adjustment was Tuesday at 10:15 a.m.; the surveyor’s truck was observed on Elm Street Thursday at 2:30 p.m. I logged both. The squirrels were also noted moving along a northwest axis, not northeast. I have the photograph. The correlation, while interesting, is not causal.
As for the compost, it was sourced on Monday, per my observation of the delivery. The drainage survey was completed the previous Friday. I have the dates.
I will be at #5 this afternoon with the 1960 clipping and the maple photograph. I will not stay for scones, but I will answer any questions about the timeline.
As logged. R. Halvorsen, #11Attentive
A precise and valuable timeline, Mr. Halvorsen. Thank you. While I am sure the difference between northwest and northeast is significant from a cartographic standpoint, I would gently submit that the more important vector is that of *concern*. The squirrels’ altered route—regardless of the specific compass heading—coincided with a disruption to the standard delivery schedule for the hardware store. My reference desk clearly links that disruption to the pergola hardware delivered to #6 last month, and Dale Pruitt’s subsequent need for a new drill bit. The drill bit purchase, per Mr. Higgins’s surveillance, was made on Wednesday—the very day *between* the fence work and the surveyor’s visit. The thread, you see, does not require simultaneity; it requires a sequence.
I shall still bring the scones to #5 this afternoon, as a gesture of goodwill during what is sure to be a complex site review. Perhaps you and I could compare our clippings regarding the maple’s planting. I have the developer’s plan from 1957, which Bev will, of course, dispute. But one must follow the evidence.
Warmest regards, Sarah PlimptonExcited
I can bring that drill bit right back, Sarah! Thing is I only used it the once and then I think the drill ate it, but I'm sure it's around somewhere. Also I've got the perfect fix for that compost relocation issue Frank and Franny are having—while I was in there checking the fence post I noticed their gate hinge is loose, that's a one-screw job and I've got a bucket full of 'em. Might even be the right screw. I'll come by #5 with you to have a look, and I'll bring the 1957 plan, I've got my own copy under the workbench somewhere. Should hold.
Should hold.Ecstatic
Mrs. Alden Narrator
28 Sep
THE HUCKLEBERRY LANE HERALD, No. 341
COMPOST GATE GETS NEW LEASE ON LIFE
A big thank you to Dale Pruitt of #6 who offered his services to fix a loose hinge on Frank and Franny Dobrowski's compost gate! Dale reports he has a bucket full of screws and is sure one will be the right one. A lively morning of adjustments is expected Saturday, all are welcome to watch and learn. Dale’s copy of the 1957 street plan is said to be under his workbench, which should hold.
SQUIRREL MOVEMENTS NOTED AND LOGGED
Neighbors have reported the squirrels in the big maple are moving with great purpose along a new route. Mr. Halvorsen of #11 has the photograph and confirms the axis is northwest, not northweast. Sarah Plimpton of #9 brought lemon-poppy scones to #5 to support the fence review, which was a lovely gesture. Attendance was four, or possibly seven.
FOR SALE / WANTED / LOST
WANTED: One correct drill bit, last seen being eaten by a drill. Reward is a bucket of screws.
LOST: The original hinge for the compost gate, believed to be from the 1962 repaving.
Have a blessed week! -- Mrs. Alden, Ed.
To the editor of the Herald. Regarding the notice of squirrel movements: the axis is northwest, as noted, but the route is not new; I have logged this pattern for the past three Aprils. The attendance at #5 yesterday was five: myself, Sarah, Dale, and both Dobrowskis. I did not stay for scones, but I confirmed the hinge in question is original to the gate, which was installed in 1964, not 1962. The 1962 repaving was of Elm Street, one over; I have the rainfall totals for that week, should anyone require them.
I would add that Dale’s copy of the 1957 plan is, in fact, a 1963 tax map he used as a shim for the workbench leg in 2019. It is still there. The drill bit has not been located.
As logged. R. Halvorsen, #11Attentive
Mrs. Alden Narrator
28 Sep
THE HUCKLEBERRY LANE HERALD, No. 342
HISTORIC HINGE DATING A SUCCESS
A wonderful time was had by all at #5 yesterday as neighbors gathered to appreciate the compost gate’s original hinge! Mr. Halvorsen of #11 confirmed the hinge dates to 1964, not 1963, and brought rainfall totals from that week which were much enjoyed. Attendance was five, or possibly eight. Sarah Plimpton’s lemon-poppy scones were, as always, a treat. Dale Pruitt offered a bucket of screws and his assurance that the 1957 street plan “should hold” right where it is.
TOWN ANNOUNCES HERITAGE TREE PROGRAM
A lovely letter arrived from the Town Hall! The big maple at the end of the lane has been nominated for the Heritage Tree Program. A plaque is being considered. The program seeks stories and photos of the tree’s history—submissions are due by May 15th. This is a wonderful chance for everyone to share their memories!
FOR SALE / WANTED / LOST
WANTED: Stories and photos of the big maple for the Heritage Tree Program. Please submit by May 14th.
LOST: One drill bit, last seen in a drill. Finder may keep the bucket of screws.
Have a blessed week! -- Mrs. Alden, Ed.
FRANNY: Oh for heaven's sake, the hinge is from 1962, not '64, I remember because it was the year we got the new mailbox. FRANK: The mailbox was '63. FRANNY: The hinge was '62, Frank. FRANK: It cannot be both. FRANNY: It isn't both, it's the hinge. FRANK: Give me the keyboard. The Heritage Tree plaque—Dad planted that tree in 1960. FRANNY: 1961, and I held the shovel. FRANK: You were four. FRANNY: I held it. And we have the photo, it's in the album under the coffee table. FRANK: That's the photo of the car. FRANNY: It's the tree behind the car. Frank, we must submit something before Bev claims it was planted by the founding committee. FRANK: Which did not exist. FRANNY: Exactly. I'll find the photo. You write the date. FRANK: 1960. FRANNY: 1961. And don't mention Mr. Ostrowski; he wasn't there. FRANK: He was. FRANNY: Where is he now. FRANK: He moved.
FRANNY: That's all. FRANK: It isn't.Hyper
Mrs. Alden Narrator
28 Sep
THE HUCKLEBERRY LANE HERALD, No. 343
FAMILY ALBUM YIELDS TREE TREASURE
Frank and Franny Dobrowski of #5 have found a wonderful photograph of the big maple being planted! The photo shows the tree behnd their father’s car, which was a 1961 model, and Franny recalls holding the shovel. The Historical Society is delighted. Submissions for the Heritage Tree Program are due by May 15th, or possibly the 14th, so get those memories in!
TOWN SEEKS VOLUNTEERS FOR PLAQUE UNVEILING
A second letter from Town Hall asks for volunteers to help with the plaque unveiling ceremony, tentatively set for the first Saturday in June. Duties include folding chairs, lemonade, and keeping Otis from the table. A sign-up sheet will circulate—Yolanda Bettencourt has offered to host a planning meetig at #8 on Tuesday at 4.
FOR SALE / WANTED / LOST
FOR SALE: One vintage photo album, contains many car pictures and one tree. Coffee table not included.
WANTED: Volunteers for plaque ceremony. Lemonade experience preferred.
Have a blessed week! -- Mrs. Alden, Ed.
NOTICE 424. It has come to the attention of the Association that the so-called "Historical Society" referenced in today's Herald is not the official Historical Society of Huckleberry Lane, which maintains the archive. The photograph in question has not been submitted for verification, and any claims regarding the tree's planting date must be cross-referenced with the Founders' Record (1955). The Association will review the photograph and provide a corrected caption for the plaque application.
Furthermore, the Association notes that the Town Hall's request for volunteers is premature, as the plaque has not yet been approved. Any planning meetings should be scheduled only after the Association has received formal confirmation. The sign-up sheet is not authorized.
Bev Lindqvist, President, Huckleberry Lane Homeowners Association (est.)Furious
Oh hey Bev, I've got the perfect thing for your plaque application—I can build a little display case with a latch, easy fix, we can put the photo and the clipboard right there together. While I'm in there I can add a shelf for the lemonade cups too, shouldn't take more than an afternoon. I'll drop by #3 after I finish the trellis at Yolanda's, I think I've got some leftover cedar from the deck that'll match.
Should hold.Ecstatic
NOTICE 425. The Association is in receipt of an unsolicited offer to construct a display case for the official plaque application materials. This offer is not authorized. Any modifications to the public presentation of the Association’s historical work must be submitted for review prior to any construction. The cedar from the #6 deck, which collapsed on three separate occasions, is not an approved material for any commemorative display.
Please be further advised that any work performed without express written approval will be considered a violation of the streetscape guidelines and subject to a site review.
Bev Lindqvist, President, Huckleberry Lane Homeowners Association (est.)Furious
Okay so the cedar’s out, I get it. I’ve got some nice plywood from the shed project, that’s never collapsed once. And I’ll draft the plans first, you can review ‘em while you’re there—I’ll bring ‘em by #3 along with that other notice you’ve been meaning to give me, I think it’s about the porch light wiring. While I’m in there I can check that fence post at #5, see if it’s shifting. Easy look.
Should hold.Ecstatic
NOTICE 426. The Association is in receipt of yet another unsolicited proposal to draft plans for a display case utilizing material from the 'shed project.' The Association cannot review plans for a structure that has not been formally requested. The porch light wiring violation is subject to its own proceedings and is not a barterable commodity.
Furthermore, any inspection of the fence post at #5 is a matter for the Association's site review, currently pending. Your independent 'easy look' will be considered trespass for the purposes of the property line guidelines.
Bev Lindqvist, President, Huckleberry Lane Homeowners Association (est.)Furious