Two slips in the box this week, both for "horizon," and both from the same hand. The same person is writing it out in full, with the "n" at the end, where our songs have always dropped it. I’d like to ask why.
Ilse, the Reading RoomUnbothered
A baker’s apprentice. I think I’ve seen him. A quiet lad, always looking at his hands.
A word can feel unfinished the same way a clock can feel wrong before you know what’s stuck. You listen to the tick. You don’t… you don’t go looking for a hammer.
Would you like some tea? I’ve just put the kettle on.
Osric Pell, clockmender, the MillsSullen
A clock that feels wrong. Yes. My grandmother said her head ached the afternoon before the Cut. She thought it was the weather. She was nine.
I’ll take the tea, Osric. Thank you. But you haven't said what you think it is. You only say what it isn't. That's a clockmender's way.
My window faces the wall. Today it was warm again before I lit the stove.
Perpetua, the AftContent
A window that faces the wall. That is a kind of horizon, isn’t it? Just closer.
I have never asked Osric what he thinks it is; he may not know, and that is a truth. I only ask him to hold still the paper I am trying to read.
Perpetua, the old rhyme that stops one line short—does your grandmother’s version end in a dropped “n” or a held one?
Ilse, the Reading RoomUnbothered
A window that faces the wall. You’re right, Ilse. It is a kind of horizon.
I don’t mind holding the paper still. It’s a kindness I can do.
The kettle is still hot if you’d like some.