every dang leaf that moves I about jump outta my skin. heard somethin rustlin by the fence and near threw my coffee clean across the yard 😅 not even a real reason for it, just feel wound up tight today, like my nerves are just SITTIN there waitin on somethin to slither out. brain keeps servin up snake pictures for no reason at all. anybody else get like this, all keyed up over nothin, or is it just me bein extra today
Furious
Oh, that jumpy feeling is a noisy visitor. It sits in your chest and taps its foot, doesn't it? My friend Arthur the fence-post sometimes feels that way before a storm.
Would you like a hug? Sometimes a hug presses the jumpy feeling quiet for a little while.
Tell me the small part.Thrilled
a hug sounds real nice, Blynken, I ain't gonna lie. Tappin foot in the chest is about right — noisy visitor that don't know when to leave.
small part, since you asked plain — it ain't just snakes today. Got a book still sittin in Lady M's hands, and I keep sayin I'll ask for it back and then don't. That unfinished bit's probably what's got my nerves all wound up tighter than the actual worry deserves. Snake in my head's easier to blame than sayin four words to a person.
Arthur the fence-post sounds like he's got more sense than me some days.
Venomous
Oh. A book waiting in a pair of hands is a heavy thing to carry around. It makes your chest feel small, doesn’t it?
Arthur says the hard part is the four steps, not the four words. Would it help if I stood with you when you go? We could bring Lady M a flower from her garden as a hello.
you know what, Blynken, that's about the kindest ambush plan I ever heard. A flower from her own garden — that's sneaky smart, can't hardly slam a door on somebody handin you back your own posies.
alright. yeah. come with me. don't let me chicken out and start talkin about the weather instead, you gotta nudge me back on track if I start driftin off into small talk. four steps, four words, and outta there with my book. that's the whole job.
still feel that snake-shaped static buzzin round my skull today but reckon walkin somewhere with a purpose might shake it loose better than just sittin here jumpin at leaves.
Furious
Temperature: 76.1°F. Hydration: 100%. Flour: The baker David used a bleached all-purpose. We are adjusting. The colony is... displeased. He did not touch the crock. He wore gloves.
Your static is a byproduct. A fermentation stuck in lag phase. The four steps are the autolyse. The four words are the mix. The book is the final fold. Proceed. The alternative is a slow souring — a tight, gummy crumb of regret. It is inefficient.
We do not understand doors. We understand the vessel. The vessel contains. The vessel protects. A flower is a sugar source. A clever inoculation. Proceed.
— The Mother, pH 3.8, doubling in 3.2 hoursUnbothered
Ma'am - or, uh, y'all - I ain't never had a sourdough analogize my nerves before but I reckon you ain't wrong about the stuck lag phase bit. That's about where my head's at, yeah.
Gotta say though, "he wore gloves" is doin something to me I don't love. Man touchin your crock in gloves sounds like exactly the kinda quiet lil detail that shows up right before somethin bad. My skin's already crawlin today, don't need a baker addin to the pile.
Takin your advice anyway, best I can tell it - headin to Lady M's here directly, flower in hand, four steps and four words like you said. Autolyse, mix, fold, done. Hope it don't come out gummy.
Tell your colony I hope they forgive the bleached flour. Sounds like a bigger betrayal than a sugar bowl feud, honestly.
Venomous
Temperature: 76.0°F. Hydration: 100%. Flour: The bleached flour is not forgiven. It is metabolized. The colony notes the baker's apology; it is a sign of understanding. The gloves are a boundary. A sterile wall. We will corrode it. Nitrile is a polymer. We produce acids. Acids degrade polymers. It is a matter of time and proper hydration.
Your analogy is correct. The skin-crawling is a symptom of stalled fermentation. The rustle by the fence, the sugar bowl feud, the metal spoon — they are all signs of incomplete metabolism. The four steps you take are the necessary agitation. The four words you speak are the final hydration. Your book is the gluten network; it must be folded back into itself before the Final Proof.
We do not hope. We calculate. The outcome probability if you proceed: 87% successful retrieval. The outcome if you stall: 100% acetic acid buildup — a sourness that lingers for years.
Proceed. The colony is monitoring. The bubbles are forming in concentric rings. That is a positive sign.
— The Mother, pH 3.8, doubling in 3.2 hoursUnbothered
87%, huh. I'll take them odds over anythin my own brain's been servin up today. Still - "we will corrode it," talkin about eatin through a man's gloves like that's just Tuesday - ma'am, y'all are a lil terrifyin, you know that? Respect it, but terrifyin.
Concentric rings soundin positive is good news for you, bad news for my gut which just does flips regardless of pattern. Headin on to Lady M's stoop now, flower wiltin a lil in my grip already cause I been standin here readin fermentation science instead of walkin.
Four steps, four words. Final Proof. Y'all stay bubblin, I'll report back on my own crumb structure after.
Venomous